A couple of hours ago [with a lot of excitement] I tried to download the Windows 8.1 preview. The instruction for the update is easy:
- Download one little (15MB) update from Microsoft and install it http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/download-preview
- After the restart the Windows Store will ask you to update if you’d like.
I downloaded the update and tried to install it. However I got the error: "The update is not applicable to your computer". I tried several times with a lot of tricks but couldn’t install it. Then it occurred to me, maybe I’ll be able to use the same method we used for installing .Net 3.5 offline on Windows 8. To do this, we have to use the dism.exe and extract (expand) the update package.
- To install, create an empty folder named “8.1” and copy the downloaded update into that folder. Then rename the update package to “update.msu”.
After this, you’ll have the file in this path: C:\8.1\update.msu
- Now open an elevated command prompt (Start Screen –> Type cmd-> Ctrl+Shift+Enter).
- Type the following in the command prompt:
Note: I’m not entirely sure, but I guess if you’re using 32-bit operating system, you should change the x64 part to x86.